Saturday 30 March 2013

I ripped my shirt!

Well sort of.

I've watched these awesome t-shirt reconstructing videos from salinabear at YouTube, and I've been dying to try them myself. For my first try, I didn't want to go too overboard so I just did some basic horizontal cut-outs.


I looked for an old t-shirt in my closet and I found this. I actually really like this shirt because it fits me very well, but I haven't been wearing it for a while now so here we are.

w/o flash
w/ flash
First, I cut five horizontal slits (the first five from the top). I left it at that at first but then my sister suggested it would be better if I cut more slits, and so I went on ahead with my scissors. She also told me to make it different by cutting into an hourglass shape from the usual V-shape.

Well it turned out fine. However, my mum didn't quite like it so I did this.

w/o flash
w/ flash
I did a basic shirt weave, but instead of tying the ends, I pinned it (using a safety pin) to the bottom part of the last slit. This is another look that can be achieved with the slits that were just made into the shirt.

I used a safety pin since I was still deciding on whether to permanently sew it in place or not. In the end, I realized that being able to create two looks with just one shirt is the way to go for me, so I left it as it is.

I will definitely do more styles but I have yet to dig for more old t-shirts. Keep posted! ;)

For the T-shirt weaving video, click here.
Post comments and links to your attempts at t-shirt weaving as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment