Wednesday 3 April 2013

The heat just got to me.

SUMMER!
And Cebu heat is just crazy!

March 22 - I finally did it. I was able to bundle up the guts and have my hair cut. Now, it wasn't just another trim. It was a totally new hairstyle.

Two weeks preceding that day, I was already planning and anticipating having my hair cut. You see, it's been getting really hot and it was becoming tiring putting up my hair all the time. But also because I'm quite the adventurous girl. I like trying new things, extremes even. Hmm.. I'm thinking this'll make a good blog post. Soon, yes.

~
While waiting for the hairdresser..
Friend: Dem, sure najud ka ani?
Me: Oo.
Friend: Wa ka nahadlok?
Me: Wa man.
( Friend: Dem, are you sure about this?
Me: Yeah.
Friend: Aren't you afraid?
Me: No. )
~

I rarely wear my hair up in school since I am quite conscious about my square/angular, or Lego as I'd like to call it,  face. I only do so on extremely hot days. If I do tie it, I always do a low side ponytail. However, during the final weeks of the semester, I prepped myself into this whole new look by wearing my hair in a bun, which I only do at home.

The Hairstyle

I wanted to go drastic. I realized the summer time would be a great opportunity to rock a very short hairstyle with all the heat going on. I also would see a few people from school since summer classes only had few students, so it'll allow some of my hair to grow back in time for June.

I already knew it was going to be a short SHORT hairstyle, so the next issue is what kind. I stumbled upon some pictures of short hairstyles before (see some here), but this one really struck me.

pixie cut
A pixie cut came to mind when I thought of drastic short hairstyles. Well seeing a lot of Emma Watson in Facebook contributed as well. But anyway, I thought that if only I didn't have such an angular face, maybe I have had my hair cut like this ages ago. And so yet again we face the Lego issue.

Fortunately, being the adventurous me, I battled my insecure self and fought for the fact that I, too, can rock a pixie cut. \m/
So my search began. Well at least for short hairstyles that would somehow match my Lego face. These were what I found, and they just made me happy really.





The Salon

Bench Fix wasn't my first choice. As you may have read in my previous post, I usually go to David's Salon (in Country Mall). But since the hairstylist, who usually does my hair had transferred to Manila, I had been reluctant to having my hair cut. So anyway, my mum recommended Bench Fix. She said their hairstylists always get it right, and so on. And because Google is awesome, I researched about their branches here in Cebu. I also read comments about people's experiences in the salon. I noticed that the most repeated comment was about the bad service they had. Nonetheless, I decided to go with it and hoped for the best.

The Experience

I came in at noon. I was the first at the waiting list. I thought, well it wasn't so bad. I sat and I waited. I scanned through some magazines and then this guy came in. I overheard that he was second on the waiting list, so it was good so far. About fifteen or twenty minutes passed and suddenly two men simultaneously came in and were told to go inside. I was like, "Hmm okay maybe they had reservations or something." The guy, who was supposed to be second on the waiting list, went to the front desk then he was ushered to go inside. That was when I said, "WTF?!" Another ten minutes maybe, more people started coming in. I worried that maybe the woman put my name aside so I went over to the front desk as well and asked when I was coming in next. She assured me I was going next. Ten or fifteen minutes later, I was finally called in.

I was told to sit and wait. After some time, I was called for shampooing. I have to say the products they used were quite good. Then after that, I had to wait quite a long time before the hairstylist/hairdresser came. I showed him the last three photos from above, and off the scissors went.

The Result

Here are some pictures that I took some five or six hours after I had my hair cut.

right side / shorter side
left side / longer side
peekaboo | creepy face photo
raw/unedited
"I'm a Dove girl, and I love it!"

I have actually put on quite a ridiculous amount of hair wax into my hair because I have issues of the shorter ends weirdly sticking out. Obviously, that didn't help much. Right now, I've decided to leave it alone, but it gets dry so I put on three pumps of hair serum when it's damp.

The Verdict

At first, I didn't really like it, and I couldn't understand why the hairstylist cut it REALLY effin short. I mean, I wanted it to be short, yes, but take a look at the (inspiration) pictures I showed and you can see it really does not look like it. My hair was cut way too short. Fortunately, my friends and my family showed support and that's all I needed, really, to feel confident about it. I didn't receive any bad comments about my hair so far, except for the teasing I get once in a while from my boyfriend and my granny that I look like a boy.
"Well, yes dears, I do have an angular face and short hair, but I wear headbands and lipstick, so that makes me a girl still. Haha."
Wait until my hair grows a bit longer, and it'll be sensational. :p

As for the salon experience, it wasn't awful, but it wasn't that good either. I don't think I'm going back to Bench Fix, if that's what you're wondering. It did cost a lot (250 pesos) considering their customer service.  Charged to experience.

~
That's it for my drastic hairstyle change. I hope you had fun reading about my experiences, and hope it also gave you some insights about being confident. Till next time! ;*

demidawn♥


++

Mentions:
David's Salon - Gaisano Country Mall branch, Banilad, Cebu City
Bench Fix - Ayala Center Cebu branch
Bench Fix Professional - Deputy Shine: Shine and Define Pomade
Dove Damage Therapy Conditioner Hair Fall Rescue
Dove Nourishing Oil Care Hair Serum (review)

Note: First three photos of me are blog-exclusive photos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment