Friday 18 October 2013

A Series of Unfortunate Car Accidents

Do I have a sign that says, "Bump me"?

Really.
Only a year since I got my license and I've already been in four major car-related accidents. Emphasize on the 'major' since I will exclude the occasional jeepney-closing-in-on-me-that-my-side-mirror-gets-folded incidents, yea.

First one was probably just a week or two after I got my license. I accompanied my aunt and uncle to the hospital for a check-up. I left the car (Crosswind) in the parking lot.
There was this Vios that refused to start. The owner called a towing company to tow her car. Unfortunately, the hook that was attached to the car broke, and guess what was behind it? Yes, my poor car. I was paged from the hospital and I rushed to the parking lot because I thought my car was blocking the way. Imagine how shocked I was when I saw the BIG dent on the right passenger doors. 


I was shocked and I didn't know what to do. I called my mum, because it is her car, but she was unreachable. I called my dad instead and he gave me instructions.  Fortunately, my aunt and uncle were there to accompany me. We prepared the necessary documents and went to the Cebu City Traffic Operations Management (CITOM) office. In the end, the towing company shouldered the expenses to have my car fixed.

I can't remember when the second one happened. It was most probably between January to March of this year. This time, it was my boyfriend's car. We  had just halted to a stop light at an intersection near school. We were talking, when suddenly this Starex rammed into the back of the car! 


We got out of the car and saw what a wreck his car had become. The sad part was that we also rammed into another car, an SUV (I can't remember if it was a Montero or a Fortuner). My boyfriend called his dad. I didn't want to leave him but he told me to go since I had class then. With my jaw and my knee aching, I went to class. Later on, he told me that the Starex had lost its brakes.

Third one was May 2013. I went to Lapu-Lapu because I was tasked to bring my sister and her friends to a beach resort during their outing. Before going to the resort, one of the stops was PTT Gas Station across Gaisano Grand Mall Mactan because they bought food somewhere near there. I was, once again, harmlessly parking at the back part of the gas station, near its convenience store, when this Vios, again, recklessly backed up to the car. It was like the driver wasn't even looking!


Having the right passenger doors damaged AGAIN, I was devastated. I called my mum and I received a scolding. She told me to get the Vios driver's information and to go home right away after I drop off my sister since I was getting into a lot of accidents already. The driver turned out to be a foreigner. He agreed to meet me the following day to pay for damages after I get an estimate of how much it would cost to fix it.

The fourth one, and hopefully my last, happened just last Friday. This time, it was closer to home. First pane below will show you where I and the jeepney were. We were running at approximately the same speed, when the white 62C jeepney suddenly turned left because of another jeepney that was stopping in front of it.


The front right side of my car was damaged, specifically misaligned signal light and slightly cracked bumper. The more unfortunate part of it was that the jeepney did not stop to talk about the accident. It just drove on. I went home and talked to my dad. He was so mad because of the hit-and-run incident. He called his policeman friend and reported the incident. I talked to him, gave him the jeepney's plate number, and he said that they would put an alert for that jeepney.

~
Now, friends, I am not proud of the accidents I've been involved in. It has gotten me thinking about my driving, but recalling everything (except case 2), I can't say it was my fault.  I feel sorry for my mum and her car, and sometimes I think about not driving anymore. However, if I stop driving, all the driving lessons will be put to waste. I guess I just am unlucky.

So, my driver friends, please be careful. Follow traffic rules diligently, and put your seatbelt on. Also, just give way to public utility vehicles because the drivers will just scratch their heads or run if they do bump you.

Keep safe, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment